01908 282 121
Mon-Fri: 8:30AM–6PM • Sat: 9AM-5PM

AM Moped Licence

AM, A1, A2, A are all motorcycle licences & require the same tests, they are just taken on, and allow you to ride, different sized bikes. The courses all cost the same.

To gain any motorcycle licence you must have already completed your CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) & passed your Theory Test. (Both valid 2 years)

The AM License is a restricted category Moped license limited to 50cc & max speed 28mph, which you can take from 16 years of age.

Who’s it for

This is the only licence 16 year olds can take, but is open to anyone older.

Those that only ever want to ride a light bike or scooter. But it means you lose the L-plates and you won’t need to re-take the CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) every two years.

As with all licences you can also carry a passenger.

Who doesn’t it suit

Those who might want to get a bigger bike in the future. In the majority of cases it’s better to gain experience over the 2 years that your first CBT is valid & reassess the licence situation when age or experience allow & your future requirements are clearer.

We Provide

A New Honda to complete your training on.

Full insurance so you have nothing to worry about.

What you’ll Need

Completed CBT & Passed Theory Test both within the last 2 years.

Suitable clothing, similar to what was required for your CBT

Motorcycle Helmet & Gloves

What you can Ride

50cc Moped limited to 28mph

No L plates required when passed

You can carry passengers

You’re NOT allowed on motorways

The Training & Test

Your training will be spread over a number of days dependant on your competence on 2 wheels.

Module 1 off-road test

Taken in an off-road motorcycle manoeuvring area & includes:

  • wheeling the moped or motorcycle and using the stand
  • riding a slalom and figure of 8
  • a slow ride
  • a U-turn
  • cornering and a controlled stop
  • cornering and an emergency stop
  • cornering and hazard avoidance

Module 2 on-road test:

You must pass module 1 before you can take the module 2 test.

  • an eyesight check
  • ‘show me, tell me’ vehicle safety questions
  • road riding
  • independent riding


If you have a full car licence issued before 1st February 2001 you may ride a restricted 50cc moped on the road without L plates (and carry a passenger) without taking your CBT, but you still need to successfully complete your CBT to ride any motorcycle over 50cc.

However, if you have not ridden a motorcycle or scooter before, it is a good idea to complete CBT as a minimum so as to be safe on the roads.

Using your Own Bike

If you wish to use your own bike you must have the following:

  • Original insurance cover note or certificate
  • Valid MOT certificate if your bike is older than 3 years
  • Valid "Road tax"
  • The bike must display L plates at both front and rear

*Complete one of our courses and you will receive a certificate of achievement making you eligible for a 20% discount on helmets, clothing, gloves and boots.