01908 282 121
Mon-Fri: 8:30AM–6PM • Sat: 9AM-5PM

A1 Motorcycle Licence

AM, A1, A2, A are all motorcycle licences & require the same tests, they are just taken on, and allow you to ride, different sized bikes. The courses all cost the same.

To gain any motorcycle licence you must have already completed your CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) & passed your Theory Test. (Both valid 2 years)

The A1 License is a restricted category motorcycle license which you can take from 17 years of age and is a license for most 125cc category motorcycles.

Who’s it for

This is the only licence 17 & 18 year olds can take, but is open to anyone older.

Those that only ever want to ride a light bike or scooter. But it means you lose the L-plates and you won’t need to re-take the CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) every two years.

As with all licences you can also carry a passenger.

It’s the first licence to allow you to ride on motorways, although this category of bike is not the most suited to motorway riding.

Who doesn’t it suit

Those who might want to get a bigger bike in the future. In this case there is no real advantage in doing this licence, provided that you get the Theory Test and the Module 1 & 2 Practical Motorcycle Tests done inside two years of completing your CBT.

We Provide

A New Honda to complete your training on.

Manual (geared) bike or automatic scooter depending on your preferences (and age).

Full insurance so you have nothing to worry about.

What you’ll Need

Completed CBT & Passed Theory Test both within the last 2 years.

Suitable clothing, similar to what was required for your CBT

Motorcycle Helmet & Gloves

What you can Ride

125cc Scooter or Motorbike

No L plates required when passed

You can carry passengers

You ARE allowed on motorways

The Training & Test

Your training will be spread over a number of days dependant on your competence on 2 wheels.

Your training team will advise you of the best plan for your experience.

Module 1 off-road test

Taken in an off-road motorcycle manoeuvring area & includes:

  • wheeling the moped or motorcycle and using the stand
  • riding a slalom and figure of 8
  • a slow ride
  • a U-turn
  • cornering and a controlled stop
  • cornering and an emergency stop
  • cornering and hazard avoidance

Module 2 on-road test:

You must pass module 1 before you can take the module 2 test.

  • an eyesight check
  • ‘show me, tell me’ vehicle safety questions
  • road riding
  • independent riding

Using your Own Bike

If you wish to use your own bike you must have the following:

  • Original insurance cover note or certificate
  • Valid MOT certificate if your bike is older than 3 years
  • Valid "Road tax"
  • The bike must display L plates at both front and rear

Only certain bikes are considered suitable by the DVSA for training. Check with the DVSA before considering doing the training on your own bike. The preferred option by many would be to use one of the bikes on our fleet.

*Complete one of our courses and you will receive a certificate of achievement making you eligible for a 20% discount on helmets, clothing, gloves and boots.